Where were we… right, healthy, tasty meals in under 30 minutes. Not impossible!
One of the key things to making quick meals is keeping them simple. Many friends I talk to say that they can’t cook, or don’t know how to cook. I call BS. Cooking your own food does not have to be fancy! Most nights I can be satisfied without a gourmet, multi-course meal.
Just think of maybe 3 things you’re in the mood for, and experiment with how to combine them. Scary at first? Yes. But that’s how you get started. You’ll have some fails, and some really ugly concoctions, but you do get the hang of it eventually.
For today’s Quick Eats meal, we are going to keep it simple, stupid! (or sweetheart/sweetie, if you’re offended by the word stupid. but calling people sweetie isn’t really my thing.
What’s in it:
- plain quinoa
- sautéed kale and mushrooms
How it came together:
- as soon as you get home: START YOUR QUINOA! rinse, measure, toast, boil, turn to simmer, and set a timer for 15 minutes. (Now you can unpack, relax, whatever it is you would normally do when you get home)
- rinse and chop your kale into bite-sized pieces. take out your desired amount of mushrooms.
- grab some coconut oil (or cooking oil of choice) and a small pan.
- when your quinoa timer goes off, turn the stove off. set the timer for another 5 minutes and let the quinoa sit covered.
- heat a few table spoons of water in the pan until it starts to bubble. add kale, toss until every leaf has turned a dark green color.
- add about 1T coconut oil and toss.
- add mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms are slightly tender, stirring just a bit. (about 2 minutes, or until your quinoa timer goes off). turn off your stove.
- fluff your quinoa with a fork. plate desired amount.
- plate your greens ‘n shrooms.
- top with whatever you like – I suggest hot sauce, soy sauce or amines, nutritional yeast, cheese if you eat it – whatever you’re in the mood for!
BAM. I chose to top with nutritional yeast and some tamari sauce (lower sodium, gluten-free soy sauce). Simple, comforting, filling. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, and came together in 20 minutes.
[[and you’ll have extra quinoa for the next few days!]]
Healthy + quick = possible. (how’s that for math…) Just keep practicing!
Tell me about the first time you made dinner for yourself – what did you make?